Our Commitment to Reduce GHG Emissions
At Cleveland-Cliffs, we acknowledge that one of the most important issues impacting our planet is climate change. The American steel industry is already among the cleanest and most energy efficient in the world. That being said, we plan to do more. With our newly expanded footprint, we recognize our increased role in the important mission to address climate change. In January 2021, we proudly announced our plan to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions 25% by 2030 from 2017 levels. This goal represents combined Scope 1 (direct) and Scope 2 (indirect) GHG emission reductions on a mass basis combined across all of our operations*.
Our GHG reduction commitment is based on executing the following five strategic priorities, which are outlined in our plan:
- Developing domestically sourced, high quality iron ore feedstock and utilizing natural gas in the production of hot briquetted iron (HBI)
- Implementing energy efficiency and clean energy projects
- Investing in the development of carbon capture technology
- Enhancing our GHG emissions transparency and sustainability focus
- Supporting public policies that facilitate GHG reduction in the domestic steel industry
GHG Emissions(millions of CO2e metric tons)
*2020 GHG emission levels were uncharacteristically low due to pandemic-related reduced production levels. 2020 GHG intensities were substantially similar to 2019 GHG intensities.